Starting a blog is an excellent idea of expressing your own thoughts or expertise with the people around the world while making a decent passive income.
Hundreds of thousands of people around the world have blogging as their main source of income and they love what they do. Still, there are millions of people who don’t know how to start their blogging career or how to set up their blog. Well, this guide is made for those beginners who want to kickstart their blogging career with zero investment.
In this guide, we will be talking about one of the most reliable and secure blogging platform – Blogger.com which is a free blogging platform by Google. In this guide, I’ll lead you step-by-step on how to create a blog on blogger.com with zero initial investment. So, let’s dive in to learn more.
What is Blogger.com – Google’s Free Blogging Platform
Blogger.com is one of the most popular and widely used free blogging platform which is provided by Google. It allows millions of people around the world to set up their blogs for free. In addition to hosting your site for free, it also gives you a subdomain with blogspot.com (such as actionpackedmarketing.blogspot.com) with an option to switch to a professional domain anytime at a later stage (e.g., actionpackedmarketing.com).
Advantages of Setting up Your Blog on Blogger.com
- Setting up your blog on Google Blogspot is very simple and straightforward. You don’t need any prior coding experience to create your blog on this platform.
- With Google’s security and reliability, you don’t have to worry about anything.
- Zero initial investment as it is a free blogging platform.
- It offers tons of features that make this platform better than any other free blogging platforms.
- Google Blogspot allows you to switch to a custom domain whenever you want.
- You get a free SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate from Google that loads your site through an HTTPS secured tunnel for complete security.
- There are tons of free templates available which you can switch and customize within minutes to give a new look to your blog. You are also allowed to use custom templates on your blog.
- It offers a clean and easy editor to create, edit, and publish your articles.
- There are tons of tools that you can use to communicate with your visitors to build a better portfolio.
- You can take a backup of your blog anytime and can also migrate your site to other CMS like WordPress, Wix, etc., whenever you want.
- Last but not the least, you can also earn a decent income from your blog using Google AdSense or any other Affiliate marketing techniques in simple steps.
Well, that was a very brief and straightforward introduction to Google Blogger. Since you have read the above information, I hope you have a clear idea of what Blogger.com is and why you should choose it.
Now, it’s time to cover the main aspect of our guide – creating and setting up your blog on Google Blogspot. I’ll be covering everything step-by-step so that you can follow each and everything very precisely. So, let’s do it!
How to Create and Setup Your Free Blog with Blogger.com
Before I start this guide, it must be noted that the given steps are updated according to the newly refreshed Google Blogger. Although everything remains the same, some of the steps have changed as per the previous version of the Blogger.com setup.
1. Create a Google Account
Since Blogger is one of the platforms of Google, you need to have a Google account to make your blog on that. If you already have a Google account, you can skip this step, otherwise, create a new Google account.
2. Sign in to your Google account on Blogger
Once you have your Google account ready, head on to blogger.com and sign in with your existing account or with the newly created account.
3. Enter Your Blog Title
Once you are signed in successfully, you will be redirected to a page where you need to enter your Blog Title. Just enter the title of the blog (e.g., Blogger 101) that you want to create and click on NEXT.
4. Enter Your Blog Address
Now, enter the Blog Address (e.g., blogger101guide.blogspot.com) and check whether it is available or not. If it is available, click on NEXT, else choose a new blog address that is available to use.
5. Enter the Display Name
This is the name that will be displayed after every blog post on your blog. Basically, this is the author’s name for the blog. So, enter the name and click on FINISH.
Note: You can always change the Blog Name, Blog Address, and Display Name anytime you want at a later stage.
6. Launch Your Blog
Once you are done with all the above-mentioned steps, your blog is ready to work and will be taken live immediately. You will be redirected to your Dashboard that looks like the screenshot attached below.
Your blog will be live with a default Blogger theme that we will learn to change and customize at a later stage. You can see your blog anytime by typing the URL (blog address) in your browser or clicking on the View Blog link at the bottom of your dashboard.
Yay! We have done the first step of setting up our blog on Google Blogger. Now, it’s time to make your blog more meaningful by customizing it and doing some other setups to make your Blog appear in Search Engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
How to Customize Your Blogger Blog?
Customizing your blog on Blogger is super easy. You just have to navigate through some simple steps to give your blog a new and professional look.
When talking about customization, Blogger offers us two different options:
- Changing the Layout of the current theme
- Changing and customizing the complete theme
To change the layout of the current theme just head on to the Layout option and rearrange and then edit the widgets as per your need to give your existing theme a new look. In addition to rearranging the widgets, you can add a Logo and customize other fields of your blog in the Layout section.
On the other hand, click on the Theme option to change your existing theme or customize it completely. Here, you can change the background color of your blog or edit the entire theme that includes text color, style edit, or custom CSS.
What Things You Can Customize in Blogger
- You can choose from dozens of free templates offered by Blogger or take a free template available on the Internet.
- To safeguard your current theme, you can always take Backup and Restore your theme if anything went wrong while importing or customizing the new theme.
- By clicking on the Customize button, you can customize the text color, background color, or image, or you can add your custom CSS via template editor.
- You can edit the HTML codes of the template for further changes.
- In the Layout section, you can add a logo, favicon, blog header/footer, sidebar, and other custom widgets.
Customization is something that depends on what type of blog you have and how you want it to look. So, it all depends on you how you customize your blog. After going through this section, I expect you that you can easily customize your blog.
Now, it’s time to take a further step which is optimizing your blog for search engines and users. So, let’s jump straight to it.
How to Optimize Your Blogger Blog
Optimizing your blog for search engines as well as the audience is very important to make your blog successful. Just like customization, optimizing a blog on Google Blogger is way too easy. Just follow the steps given below.
First thing first, click on the Setting option that sits at the left panel of your dashboard. Here, you will see tons of options and that we go through step-by-step.
1. Add Blog Description
Under the Basic Settings, you will find an option called Description. Here, you have to specify what describes your blogs at its best to your readers as well as search engines.
2. Edit Posts and Comments Setting
On the same page, scroll down a bit to go to the Posts and Comments section. Within the posts setting, you can set the number of posts visible on the homepage. On the other hand, the Comments section will enable you to set commenting rules.
3. Edit Search Preferences for SEO
This is one of the most important settings in terms of optimizing your blog for search engines that affects your ranking on them. So, proceed carefully with all the inputs that you give in this section.
- Meta Tags: Meta tags is a summary of your blog that tells search engines what is your blog about. So, carefully add a brief but short description under 160 characters in the Search Description edit box.
- Custom 404: This is the page where your visitors land when that particular URL doesn’t exist on your blog. Here you can give a simple message that this page doesn’t exist or set a custom HTML message.
- Custom Redirects: This option is used only when you want to redirect a broken link to the new URL or your long permalink to a short link. Please note that URL redirection on Blogger is only valid for the URL within your blog.
- Crawlers and Indexing: This is one of the options that you have to choose only when you have good knowledge of them. When configured correctly, they can improve your site’s ranking on SERPs and can harm it when not configured correctly. So, proceed with caution.
Adding Your Blog on Google Search Console
To get better control of how your blog performs on Google Search, it is always recommended to add your blog on Google Search Console. Here you will see the latest reports on how your blog is performing on SERPs. This will be helpful for you in the future to optimize your blog as per the reports generated from the Search Console.
To add your blog on Google Search Console, follow the given steps:
- In your Blogger Dashboard, go to Settings>> Crawlers and Indexing.
- Here you will see an option called Google Search Console. Clicking on it will take you to Google Search Console on a new tab.
- Here, type your blog address (e.g., blogger101guide.blogspot.com) in the Domain box and click on Continue.
- Since Blogger is one of the platforms of Google, it will automatically verify your ownership of the blog. Now, you are good to go with Google Search Console.
Now, your blog is fully customized and ready to go for your readers. The next thing we have to do is to learn how to create, edit, optimize, and publish the articles for our blog. So, let’s do it right now!
How to Publish Articles on Your Blog
Once your blog is ready to have its first article, it’s time to create one. Blogger offers a very clean and simple content editor that allows you to write, edit, and publish articles on your blogs.
One of the best features of Blogger Post Editor is it autosaves your content so that if anything went wrong while publishing the article, your content will be saved automatically under the Draft section. Let’s try to publish our first article on our newly created blog.
1. To add a new article, click on the New Post button that sits at the left panel of your Dashboard. You will be taken to Blogger Post Editor.
2. It is similar to the post editors provided by many other CMS. At the top, you have to enter the Post Title. Next, write your content with correct formatting as per your wish in the editor.
3. Once you are finished with the content, it’s time to start the publishing process that includes various steps to be executed.
- Labels: Here you will add the niche of your content or what labels justifies your content like in our case – Blogger, Blogger Guide, Blogger 101, etc. Every label should be entered separated by a comma.
- Published Time: You can leave this section as it is if you want to publish the post immediately. In case, if you want to schedule your post to be published later, you can set the date and time in this section.
- Permalink: Blogger will automatically generate a permalink for your post as per your post title. However, if you want to make changes in it, you can edit it before publishing.
- Location: If you want to add a location for your post, you can add it to this section or leave it as it is.
- Search Description: This is one of the most important sections as per the SEO point of view. You have to summarize your post under 160 characters that will work as a meta description for your article.
- Comment Options: Here you can edit comment rules for that particular post.
4. Once everything is done, click on Preview to see a preview of your post or click on Publish to publish that article on your blog.
Great! You have just published your first article on your newly created blog. That’s such a great achievement for you in the field of blogging. I really appreciate it.
This is how you will be publishing articles on your blog and engage more visitors on it. Once you think you have enough traffic on your blog, try to apply for Google AdSense. If your blog has good traffic and your blog qualifies the Google AdSense standards, your blog will be approved by Google and you are good to go to generate money from your blog.
BONUS: Tips to Make a Blog Successful on Blogger
- First thing first, write original content at your blog for a better ranking in SERP. If you are using someone’s quote, give them proper credit for that.
- Use a custom theme that looks attractive and suits the niche of your blog for a better user experience. =
- If possible, get a custom domain to build trust among your audience as well as in search engines.
- Set up social profiles for your blog on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc., and engage with your audience.
- Last but not the least, try to publish articles on your blog very frequently for a longer time to increase your chances of getting success.
Here we came to the end of our step-by-step guide on how to create a blog on Blogger. In any case, if you find difficultly in grasping something or encountered an error while setting up your blog on blogger, don’t forget to put your doubts in the comment section. I’ll be pleased to help you.